From: Jed Rothwell <jedrothw...@gmail.com>
To: vortex-l <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Wed, Jul 10, 2013 2:55 pm
Subject: Re: [Vo]:Rossi update

David Roberson <dlrober...@aol.com> wrote:

Jed, Rossi might still be working out the remaining bugs in his design.  That
is reason enough to keep his cards close.

I expect he is. Based on the history of similar ground-breaking, radically new
technology such as telegraphs, railroads, Diesel engines and aircraft, I doubt
he is capable of working out the remaining bugs.

If the Wright brothers had tried to do this themselves, at the pace they were
working, the first practical airplane would have appeared sometime around 1930
I suppose. And they were incredibly fast workers! They made several prototypes
a year, some of them with radical improvements, especially in 1905.

Airplanes began making rapid progress after 1908 because many people began
working on them. Most of those people were far less skilled than the Wrights. A
few, such as Sikorsky and Sopwith, were more skilled, especially with regard to
practical applications and manufacturing. That is why progress suddenly leaped
forward.

It takes a lot of people to make progress, because most of them are wrong, and
they work on dead-end approaches. In 1911, three years after the world learned
that airplanes are real, the Scientific American reported there were roughly
500,000 people working frantically on aviation. Yet airplanes were by no means
practical in 1911. In 1955, three years after the transistor was revealed,
dozens of companies and thousands of people were working frantically on
transistors, but for most applications they were still not practical.

Various smart people such as Henry, Wheatstone and Morse invented the telegraph
from 1809 to 1835, but it went nowhere until a large group of smart, skilled
and determined people such as Ezra Cornell spent large sums of money and made
many mistakes building a telegraph line from Baltimore to Washington. They
finally got that work in 1844. Morse could never have solved all the problems
himself. No single person working in isolation in a laboratory could have. You
had to be out in the field. I mean an actual field, floundering around in the
mud. They tried putting cables underground, an interesting approach but a
hundred years ahead of its time. Then they tried erecting telegraph polls for
the first time in history. Imagine doing that when no one has ever thought of
what a telegraph poll is, how it might hold a wire, what it should look like,
what it should be made from, or how it should be guyed up. You learn that sort
of thing by doing, not by theory. Go look at a telephone poll and ponder this.
You will see it is a lot more complicated than you might think. That is just
one of many problems they had to solve.

I do not think that Rossi alone can make cold fusion practical. I think it will
take thousands or hundreds of thousands of people, just as it did with every
other breakthrough of this nature.