blaze spinnaker <blazespinna...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > To give another dramatic example, suppose at 1:00 pm on the afternoon of
> > December 17, 1903, you were take a poll about whether man can fly.
>
> What does that have to do with the value of prediction markets?

I mean only that prediction markets cannot be used to confirm or deny
assertions about scientific or engineering, such as whether airplanes can
exist or not. Prediction markets are the wrong tool for that. They cannot
affect physical reality as measured by instruments and photographs.

Prediction markets might be a useful way to predict whether the public will
believe that a breakthrough exists, or whether it will continue denying the
facts. I do not know if these markets are good for that purpose. I do not
know enough about them.

> I thought you believed that Rossi had figured this out years ago.
>
> (Which is what I'm trying to predict. . . .

You cannot predict that. You can only judge it by a careful evaluation of
the Levi report and by looking at others who have produced Ni-H cold
fusion. "Predicting" is the wrong word in any case. A prediction applies to
the future. Rossi's experiments have already happened. You are trying to
determine whether they proved what he claims. To do that, you must use the
tools of science and engineering, not the tools of a prediction market.

Or, you might be trying to determine whether other people will believe him
at a given date in the future. That is an entirely different matter. People
did not believe the Wrights until 1908, but obviously they did actually fly
on many occasions between 1903 and 1908. People's beliefs have absolutely
no bearing what is true. Beliefs cannot affect reality.

It works both ways. If you were betting on the outcome of an election, you
would not try to use the laws of thermodynamics, or a manual on
calorimetry. You might use a prediction market though.