WD Hamilton, in "Innate Social Aptitudes of Man" wrote about the tendency
of civilization to breed cultural creativity out of the gene pool for the
simple and obvious reason that the benefits of invention do not go to the
inventor's genetic correlates while the inventor bears the costs of
invention to his evolutionary fitness.

This kind of phenomenon hits some inventors harder than others and in
Papp's case, I can believe that if he had what he claimed to have, and was
seeing the way inventors were being treated in the US, that he might have
gone from despising the Soviet takeover of Hungary to despising
civilization itself, and decided he would rather not feed the beast that is
consuming its life-support.