On Feb 3, 2014, at 8:42 PM, Eric Walker wrote:

Ed: "the Rossi claim for transmutation producing energy is simply WRONG."

Jones: "Note that of late, Rossi’s own comments (to JoNP) show that he is no longer pushing the transmutation of nickel to copper, and has doubts about any theory. In fact, we know that Ni -> Cu cannot be the prime reaction for the reasons which have been hashed and rehashed- particularly, the lack of radioactive ash."

Ed: "the claim for intense magnetic fields by DGT are so implausible and unsupported by any evidence they can be safely ignored."

The confidence with which these statements are made seems misplaced.

Why do you say this, Eric? Do you have evidence I do not know about? Can you give a reason why the statements are not correct? On the other hand, I can give reasons why I think the statements are correct. If I were uncertain, I would say so. However, I think my reasons are strong enough to give confidence. What are your reasons for not agreeing? Science is based on choices, not on accepting every claim. The choices are based on knowledge. Sometimes they are wrong, but at least the reasons are clear. What are your reasons for believing Rossi and DGT?

As for transmutation producing energy, if the rate is great enough, transmutation will produce detectable power. The problem is getting sufficient rate. No measurement shows a sufficient rate can be produced. In addition, the huge Coulomb barrier stops the reaction, which eliminates the claim unless a method to overcome it is identified. I have suggested a method, but the rate would nevertheless be small.

As for the magnetic field, this is based on a statement by DGT without any evidence being published. This is hearsay evidence. It has no value even in law, much less in science. Of course, a small magnetic effect might occur or a small magnetic field might alter the rate. However, no magnetic field can be created at the atomic level that is known to cause a nuclear reaction. Some very intense magnetic fields have been generated without producing fusion, which is the process we are discussing. Why would you believe DGT could create such a field in the apparatus they have shown?

Ed Storms

Eric