Dave--

Muon induced cold fusion was known before  the P-F effect was demonstrated.

I always assumed the magnetic field in the P-F effect was somehow involved with
the event.  Pd has a large magnetic susceptibility and a large electronic heat
capacity associated with effectively heavy S band electrons.  The large B field
inside the Pd metal would reduce the number of possible quantum states for the
deuterium particles and cause them to be aligned, spin-wise, parallel or anti
parallel to the local (internal)  B field.

  I have an idea about the synthesis of He from the deuterium that involves the
spin, angular momentum and  transfer of residual energy via spin coupling to
the electronic structure of the lattice, assuming a continuous "quantum
connected" system.  I have always thought that the He formed in the process
starts out as an excited He* with a high spin quantum state and associated
energy which is rapidly (instantaneously) released to the lattice electrons
(conserving angular momentum)  and hence vibrational phonons--heat.  Linear
momentum and kinetic energy is not involved in the process.

Also, apparently similar (perceived the same)  physical phenomena have
differing causes--the issue is in what's apparent and what really is the cause.
 I tend to agree with Axil.   His comment that if you look deep enough (the
picture will make  sense) is the basis for scientific investigation.

Bob Cook (Stalecookie)  (My first response to this blog.)