  From: David Roberson
  To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
  Sent: Sunday, November 23, 2014 1:23 PM
  Subject: Re: [Vo]:They call me a moron. A reply.

  That is the point Robin.  In the case of a car you can find where all of the
original mass is located after the car accelerates to a new velocity.  It might
not be easy, but it can be done.

  The reactionless drive spaceship can not find the lost mass that is assumed
to be converted into energy to generate thrust.  A person onboard the ship will
only see that the mass of his ship is depleted since his velocity is constant
after the drive is cut off as far as he knows.  Of course he will feel the
acceleration as the drive is powered, but he has no way to determine his
velocity relative to the universe before or after that occurs.   Velocity is
relative to the observer.

  If we take this process to the extreme, lets assume that 90% of the mass of
the original ship is consumed by the energy required to operate the
reactionless drive.   Once the drive is shut down the spaceman begins to drift
in space.  As far as he can observe, he is sitting still in space and has no
kinetic energy.  But where did all that original mass end up?  It just
vanished, which makes no sense.

  With a normal ship that relies upon the conservation of momentum all of the
mass that has been ejected can be located.  Whether in the form of
electromagnetic waves or raw mass that was ejected, the total will be the same
as before the drive is activated.  This makes complete sense and is what has
been demonstrated so far in real life.

  In the first case mass has been lost without anything to show for its
existence.  In the second one, nothing is missing and everything adds up as
expected.  I find it very difficult to believe that both situations are
possible.

  How would you explain to the spaceman on the ship powered by a reactionless
drive where most of the mass of his ship is now located?  Have atoms of fuel
actually disappeared?  Even if some form of nuclear reaction is used to power
the drive he can not locate the energy generated by the nuclear process.

  Dave