Interesting.  This reminds me of the .com mantra "Get Big or Die" --
which usually meant expanding quickly and burning through millions of
dollars to try and capture 99% of a market that hasn't yet even been
proven to be profitable.

In a couple years we'll be able to look back and figure out where Second
Life is on launch parabola -- has it archived escape velocity and will
be the next Amazon or Yahoo, or come crashing to earth when the fuel
(stacks of crisp venture capital dollars) runs out?  I haven't seen much
word-of-mouth promotion of Second Life, and what I have seen has been
mostly negative (of course I'm biased here).  Rather there's been a lot
of over-the-top hype and top-down marketing, rather than the sort of
grass-roots support that suggests a sustainable platform.

They desparately want to make SL seem bigger than it is, because people
like a winner.  But if the real numbers are right (250,000 accounts
logged at least once in the last two months, 15,000 simultaneous users
at peak usage) I can't help but think the user community is really,
really small considering their multi-million dollar investment in
hardware, software and marketing.

Also I agree that they're walking a fine line between the "natural laws
of cyberspace" and real-world legal systems, and this could really burn
them at some point down the road.  Whenever someone tries to bend
cyberspace to conform to their idea of what should and shouldn't be
allowed (as opposed to what is naturally possible or impossible)
cyberspace ends up worse off for it.

--
[   Peter Amstutz  ][ [EMAIL PROTECTED] ][ [EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
[Lead Programmer][Interreality Project][Virtual Reality for the Internet]