On Mon, 2004-06-28 at 16:50, John Taylor wrote:

> If anyone has a spare 6GB 
> hard drive or larger that will go in my computer that would be great. A 
> Mac one would be preferable to avoid having to use third party hard 
> disk drivers.

Hmm. I was able to install a disk (a WD Caviar, in fact) in an OS9/OSX
dual boot G4 the other day. It was a normal off-the-shelf drive from
Austin, and no more Apple than an Intel CPU ;-)

It was formatted using Drive Setup and installed with OS9 first. The
only difference between it and the old drive was the massively increased
storage space and small speed improvement. Is it possible that the days
of artificially blocking users from using 3rd party ATA disks are over?

A shiny new 40GB disk can be obtained for as little as $80, but buying
one with a larger cache (in the $100 range) would seem wise, as even on
old machines the disk can be a very important aspect of system
performance. The price point seems to be the 80GB 7200RM disks with 8MB
caches for about $110.

Of course, I can't tell you for sure that the disk will work in your mac
model, only that an 80GB 7200RPM WD JB works fine in one of the G4/400s
here. Double checking would be strongly recommended (and as you say, an
old mac disk will be cheaper and safer, albeit slower and smaller).

> I'm also looking for a PCI ATI Rage 128 card that will go in my 
> computer. Apparently this will make OS X go significantly faster, in 
> addition to my 3D games.

I don't doubt it. 

That brings me to something I've been wondering about for a while - on
AGP macs, is there any requirement to use an Apple-modified card? It'd
be nice if I could pick up a standard Radeon 9200 (I don't care about
the ADC on the Apple ones) and use that.

--
Craig Ringer