On Wed, 2004-06-30 at 01:41, Rod wrote:

> > I'm all too familiar with the latter. RAM, anybody? 
> 
> I thought for older SCSI Macs, this was the case with hard drives.

I seem to remember encountering that problem with my PowerMac 7200. HDT
to the rescue!

> Certain
> model hard drives weren't recognized by drive setup and required the use of
> a third party app, such as FWB Hard Drive Toolkit (which also let you set up
> drives in a soft RAID).  Or you bought the Apple recommended model.  Not the
> case now, but in the past yes.  Otherwise what would have been the point of
> Hard Drive Toolkit?

HDT also provided some nice disk diagnostics, such as surface scans and
mechanism tests. It could also blacklist bad sectors for you, permitting
you to continue to use a drive with bad sectors - something that
mattered in the days before you could go out and pick up a new disk for
a hundred bucks.

--
Craig Ringer