On Tue, 2004-06-29 at 05:35, Onno Benschop wrote:
> > > I've heard that you have to flash the ROM (change the firmware) for 
> > > some cards, 
> 
> Uhm, a card and a hard-disk are *not* even close to being the same
> thing.
> 
> I have no evidence at all that any firmware modifications are needed for
> any hard-disks. 

I am extremely confused as to how you get the idea that I (or anyone
else on this thread) was at any point suggesting that firmware
modifications might be required to use non-Apple-supplied hard disks in
macs. The only firmware tweaks I'm aware of for hard disks are used for
failure simulation.

Video cards, perhaps. Hard disks, I can't possibly imagine why.

> If you are completely paranoid - which you should be - I
> would recommend that you take your machine to the place where you are
> thinking about purchasing a drive and testing it there.
> 
> I would also bring a boot-able CD with me and a copy of the current
> version of Drive Setup.

That would seem a sensible approach to me, yes.

> So, while a firmware change *might* be required for a brain-dead PCI or
> AGP card - shoot the manufacturer,

I wouldn't be too surprised if Open Firmware required different card
firmware to boot with the card - in particular, a replacement for the
VGA BIOS. It would seem to me that using VESA calls would be the
sensible approach, but I don't know if that's what Open Firmware does,
or in fact if VESA BIOSes are portable across CPU architectures. So it
may not be the manufacturer's fault if a firmware change is in fact
required.

Of course, it could just as easily be drivers written only to work with
the special "Mac edition" cards so they can charge more.

> I am suspicious of any such
> requirements for hard-disks and suspect either ill-informed users who
> confuse the two, or ruthless dealers charging a premium for Macintosh
> compatibility.

I'm all too familiar with the latter. RAM, anybody?

--
Craig Ringer