On 29/6/04 1:25 PM, "Craig Ringer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-06-29 at 05:35, Onno Benschop wrote: >>>> I've heard that you have to flash the ROM (change the firmware) for >>>> some cards, >> >> Uhm, a card and a hard-disk are *not* even close to being the same >> thing. >> >> I have no evidence at all that any firmware modifications are needed for >> any hard-disks. <snip> > >> I am suspicious of any such >> requirements for hard-disks and suspect either ill-informed users who >> confuse the two, or ruthless dealers charging a premium for Macintosh >> compatibility. > > I'm all too familiar with the latter. RAM, anybody? > I thought for older SCSI Macs, this was the case with hard drives. Certain model hard drives weren't recognized by drive setup and required the use of a third party app, such as FWB Hard Drive Toolkit (which also let you set up drives in a soft RAID). Or you bought the Apple recommended model. Not the case now, but in the past yes. Otherwise what would have been the point of Hard Drive Toolkit? Seeya Rod!

