On 01/02/2010, at 7:45 PM, Neil Houghton wrote:

> (following my previous post Graeme phoned me and we went through these
> checks over the phone)
>
> Hi Graeme,
>
> To sum up what we found - together with a couple of thoughts I've had since:
>
> 1) Printer Set-up in OSX:
> - we have confirmed that your printer is set-up and showing in the "Print &
> Fax" preference pane with "green light" as Idle, Default
> - we have confirmed that printer sharing is turned on on your Mac and that
> your HP 380 is showing up as a shared printer with status "Everyone can
> print"
> - we have checked your firewall setting - which is currently "off" (you may
> want to change this later - but at present it means that your current
> problem is not down to the OSX firewall.
>

> 2) Adding the printer under windows:
>
> - The bonjour printer wizard runs but under the "Browse for Bonjour
> Printers" there are no printers showing up.
> - When we checked the configuration of your Virtual machine we found that
> you had got "Network adapter 1" installed and shown as connected but with
> type "Bridged ethernet", compared to my setup which is type "Shared
> Networking"

Just     to put this to bed..

I went to Graeme's place last night on his request following a contribution I
had made to this thread. The solution was annoyingly simple, although not
immediately obvious: although the USB service was turned on, no actual USB
device had been activated. I deleted the HP Printer from his Printers list in
Windows, then activated the HP Printer from Parallels' USB Menu. Windows
instantly sprang to life, announcing the detection of New Hardware (etc, etc)
and the Parallels connection was made.

The only glitch was where Windows insisted that we locate a particular .dll
file (perhaps a legacy of the Windows drivers having been installed), but once
we got through that the HP Printer reappeared in the Printer List, but this
time it was the shared version. Graeme is printing just fine from Windows now.

FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer
Perth, Western Australia
Phone (618) 9332 6482    Mob 0403 064 948