Thanks for the update Pete.  I guess Apple felt the benefits in having a local 
internet store outweigh having to charge 10% tax.  Very interesting to know.

Ruben

> G'day all.
> 
> The Apple store in Australia does pay GST.
> 
> From their terms and conditions:
> 
> "8. GST 
> 
> Apple Store purchases will include GST. If you phone in your order, the Apple 
> Specialist will provide the final dollar total of your order including GST 
> and any applicable shipping charges at the time you place your order. The 
> invoice Apple emails or posts to you will include GST."
> 
> 
> Having read a bit about the big stores in Australia and Gerry Harvey and 
> their complaints about non-GST-paying internet stores, my understanding of 
> the situation as a whole is that their complaint is the overseas internet 
> stores don't pay or charge the GST for goods under $1,000.
> 
> However, if a store sets up an internet store in Australia and sells to 
> people within Australia, then GST applies across the board as per a physical 
> walk-in store.
> 
> The Australian Apple store has an Australia address in Sydney and also an 
> Australian 13.... phone no. Which also, I assume, means staff (at a different 
> pay to staff in the American store I would think).
> 
> I assume that Apple sets up its internet stores in various countries, 
> including Australia, as it must make it easier to display local prices and, 
> considering they include free shipping, take shipping costs into account when 
> setting the local country price structures up. However, local taxes apply and 
> in our case, it's 10% GST. The Australian store also has to comply with the 
> "Trade Practices Act 1974 and other applicable Australian consumer protection 
> laws and regulations" and any associated costs.
> 
> I don't think it matters where the actual download comes from, it's where it 
> is sold from.
> 
> Regards
> 
> Pete Smith
> 
> iMac 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
> 4GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
> 750GB Hdrive OS X 10.6.5
> 
> On 07/01/2011, at 16:25 PM, Ronda Brown wrote:
> 
>> Hi Alex,
>> 
>> I understand where you are coming from and your concern. My reply was in 
>> reference to the link you supplied which referred to "iTunes users fight 
>> back against inflated music prices" & how to get around this by creating a 
>> US iTunes Account.
>> 
>> Hugh Griffiths reply touched on 'market economics'.
>> There is a markup for the cost of business in each country.
>> 
>> I agree, Aperture is an Apple Software product. None of the prices on the US 
>> App Store include sales tax. The US does not have a uniform federal VAT. The 
>> sales taxes is different in every state and sometimes city jurisdiction.
>> 
>> AFAIK Hardware, Software is all subject to GST, so all the prices on the AU 
>> App Store include Australia Government 10% GST (& possibly importation fees).
>> Correct me if I'm wrong, but that is how I understand it works. I'm 
>> certainly no expert on GST & our Government's import duties & Customs Laws.
>> 
>> Regards,
>> Ronni
>> 
>>  
>> On 07/01/2011, at 3:13 PM, Alexander Hartner wrote:
>> 
>>> While I don't condone stealing especially from software developers and 
>>> musicians, I do feel it is not reasonable for Apple to set different 
>>> prices. Your comments regarding record companies is only partially right, 
>>> as this thread started with Aperture, which is an Apple product. I fail to 
>>> see why they should charge Aussies more then our cousins from the other 
>>> side of the pacific. 
>>> 
>>> I used to life in the UK and had my account there. Since moving down under 
>>> I changed my account, but wish I hadn't. 
>>> 
>>> Just an observation, but generally things seem more expensive here in Oz. 
>>> Guess you can't have it all. Sunshine, beach, cheap prices .... :-)
>>> 
>>> Alex
>>> 
>>> On 7 Jan 2011, at 13:37, Ronda Brown wrote:
>>> 
>>>> The comments: 
>>>> /Quote:
>>>> "Stealing is stealing no matter how easy it is to do or however you 
>>>> rationalise it."
>>>> and:
>>>> "the biggest issue is that Apple when they do catch onto you, your credit 
>>>> is gone"
>>>> /End Quote
>>>> 
>>>> Says it all.
>>>> 
>>>> It might 'seem' unfair to people that don't understand (or research) all 
>>>> the factors which cause the price difference.
>>>> The exchange rate is only one factor in the pricing equation.
>>>>  
>>>> Also, Apple doesn't set the prices, the record companies do, the Record 
>>>> Companies and Rights Holders in Australia charge iTunes.
>>>> If you want to blame someone blame EMI Australia who sets the prices, not 
>>>> Apple. While your at it, ask the Australian book publishers why electronic 
>>>> books are so much more expensive in Australia than they are overseas and 
>>>> why all titles available on overseas stores aren't available here. 
>>>> 
>>>> I'm not about to start a 'Flaming War' as this issue has been discussed 
>>>> before on WAMUG.
>>>> I apologise if my little "Rant" upsets anyone.
>>>> 
>>>> Cheers,
>>>> Ronni
>>>> 
>>>> On 07/01/2011, at 12:28 PM, Alexander Hartner wrote:
>>>> 
>>>>> There are ways and means :
>>>>> 
>>>>> http://www.news.com.au/technology/itunes-users-fight-back-against-inflated-music-prices/story-e6frfro0-1225982198878
>>>>> 
>>>>> apparently. 
>>>>> 
>>>>> On 7 Jan 2011, at 01:06, Dark1 wrote:
>>>>> 
>>>>>> Aperture is a great deal but I can't help but feel a bit disappointed 
>>>>>> that Aussies are being screwed over a bit.  US on the new store is $79.  
>>>>>> The price differences from the original Apple store could be justified 
>>>>>> since there were additional costs associated with shipping and taxes in 
>>>>>> Australia.  I could be wrong but I think buying from an online store 
>>>>>> would bypass the Australian taxes and there certainly isn't any shipping 
>>>>>> involved yet we pay $20 more.  I wonder if it's possible to trick the 
>>>>>> store into giving you US prices by using proxy servers.  Probably not 
>>>>>> but it would be interesting to see Apple's response if someone found a 
>>>>>> way to do it.
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> Ruben
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> In a word ... AWESOME
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> There are some great bargains available to. For all you budding 
>>>>>> photographers Aperture less than half price ($99.99) normally $249
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> cheers
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> Pedro
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
>> Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
>> Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
>> Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>
> 
> 
> 
> 
> -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
> Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
> Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
> Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>




-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>