Also, just to add to Ronni's post.
If you still find after searching that nothing turns up "large files"
anywhere a couple of other things to look out for are:-
1) backups that are saving back to the original hard drive instead of
another drive (eg Silverkeeper, Time Machine, Deja Vu.) Sometimes if the
"destination drive" disappears it can change the script and save back to
itself.
2) invisible system log files. I can't remember off the top of my head
exactly where these ones are, but if you have no joy post back to the list
and I'll check my notes for the location of it.

I've had both the above happen with client where the backup was backing up
to the same drive as the original data was and was eating up the hard drive
space.
And on another occasion had another client who had a corrupt system log
file. As quickly as they were deleting things to make space it was chewing
it back up again. In fact it got down to zero KBs of free space! I was
surprised the machine was still running when I went out there to fix it!
Once I found the hidden corrupt files it returned about 250GB of space back
to them!!

Just a couple of thoughts off the top of my head.

Hope that helps.

Kind regards
Daniel

---