Thanks so much, everyone, Ronni, Rob and Daniel,

It looks like it was TechToolPro that was the culprit.  The main disk was down
to 0 and now it has 163 GB free after I threw out the entire TechTool folder.
Neither of the other 2 disks had any problem.

Is TechTool of real value, worth having even if it is likely to go insane?  And
more and more we put our lives in the tender (not) mercy of computers and their
software.

It's an enormous relief, but I am going to keep an eagle eye on that 163 GB to
see if it starts melting away again (I've been watching it all morning, and it
still seems OK).

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Pat