Yes Ronni, indeed I repaired both. I'm looking at this now as the error message 

NSUnderlyingError = "Error Domain=kextcache Code=71 \"The operation 
couldn\U2019t be completed. (kextcache error 71.)\"";

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/66544/unexpected-error-when-installing-os-update-in-os-x

Not sure about kext caches though. Looks scary

Reg


On 27/06/2013, at 3:12 pm, Ronda Brown <[email protected]> wrote:

> Just quickly Reg,
> 
> When booted into Recovery and opened Disk Utility-- Did you select your hard 
> drive entry (mfgr.'s ID and drive size) from the the left side list (not the 
> volume)?
> Click on the 'Repair Disk button' on the lower right of the window. 
> 
> See if this will repair the boot helper partition.
> 
> 
> Sent from Ronni's iPad4
> 
> On 27/06/2013, at 2:41 PM, Reg Whitely <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
>> Thanks Ronni and Daniel (yet again). I have followed your advice (as below) 
>> Ronni and repaired permissions  and the disk. There didn't appear to be much 
>> wrong. Curiously when I senected the 10.8.4 disk to restart I got the 
>> message: "You can't change the startup disk to the selected disk. Building 
>> boot caches on boot helper partition failed." I needed to select the "shut 
>> down" option and then restart manually.
>> 
>> I then reinstalled the 10.8.4 combo package and got the same 'failed' 
>> message. I've opened the Console and saved the log, but really don't 
>> understand it. I'm not sure I should post it to the list either as it's long 
>> and complicated. I'll put a shortened version below.
>> 
>> Interestingly when I "Get Info" on my hard drive it tells me I can only 
>> read. I suspect that's not the problem as Elaine's iMac tells her that too 
>> and I installed the exact same combo update on it successfully yesterday 
>> (whilst mine was reinstalling Mountain Lion).
>> 
>> I may need to resort to Daniel's advice and backup, erase and reinstall 
>> again, however I'd like to cover all other options first.
>> 
>> The abbreviated log is:
>> 
>> Jun 27 14:15:02 Regs-MacBook-Pro.local installd[313]: PackageKit: Install 
>> Failed: Error Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=121 "An error occurred while 
>> updating system extension information." UserInfo=0x7fcc77752410 
>> {NSUnderlyingError=0x7fcc77a93860 "The operation couldn’t be completed. 
>> (kextcache error 71.)", NSLocalizedDescription=An error occurred while 
>> updating system extension information., arguments=(
>>          "-update-volume",
>>          "/",
>>          "-Installer"
>>      )} {
>>          NSLocalizedDescription = "An error occurred while updating system 
>> extension information.";
>>          NSUnderlyingError = "Error Domain=kextcache Code=71 \"The operation 
>> couldn\U2019t be completed. (kextcache error 71.)\"";
>>          arguments =     (
>>              "-update-volume",
>>              "/",
>>              "-Installer"
>>          );
>>      }
>> Jun 27 14:15:02 Regs-MacBook-Pro.local Installer[289]: 
>> install:didFailWithError:Error Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=121 "An 
>> error occurred while updating system extension information." 
>> UserInfo=0x7fb1468bdf40 {arguments=(
>>          "-update-volume",
>>          "/",
>>          "-Installer"
>>      ), NSLocalizedDescription=An error occurred while updating system 
>> extension information., NSUnderlyingError=0x7fb146be9f00 "The operation 
>> couldn’t be completed. (kextcache error 71.)"}
>> Jun 27 14:15:03 Regs-MacBook-Pro.local Installer[289]: Install failed: The 
>> Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact 
>> the software manufacturer for assistance.
>> Jun 27 14:15:03 Regs-MacBook-Pro.local Installer[289]: IFDInstallController 
>> 42A424A0 state = 7
>> Jun 27 14:15:03 Regs-MacBook-Pro.local Installer[289]: Displaying 'Install 
>> Failed' UI.
>> Jun 27 14:15:03 Regs-MacBook-Pro.local Installer[289]: 'Install Failed' UI 
>> displayed message:'The Installer encountered an error that caused the 
>> installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.'.
>> Jun 27 14:15:25 Regs-MacBook-Pro.local installd[313]: installd: Exiting.
>> 
>> 
>> Does this make any sense?
>> 
>> Reg
>> (Thinking it must be 5 o'clock somewhere!)
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> On 27/06/2013, at 1:33 pm, Ronda Brown <[email protected]> wrote:
>> 
>>> 1. Open Disk Utility and Repair Permissions
>>> 2. Then boot into Recovery and 'Repair the Disk' with Disk Utility.
>>> 
>>> Then, try to install the Combo Update.
>>> 
>>> Cheers,
>>> Ronni
>>> 
>>> Sent from Ronni's iPad4
>>> 
>>> On 27/06/2013, at 11:48 AM, Reg Whitely <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> 
>>>> Hi all
>>>> 
>>>> I've just installed the 10.8.4 combo and again "still" receive the message 
>>>> "The installation failed. The installer encountered an error that caused 
>>>> the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for 
>>>> assistance'".
>>>> 
>>>> When I restarted the computer 10.8.4 has indeed been installed. This was 
>>>> the problem I was trying to solve by reinstalling OS X. What is happening 
>>>> in the system to cause this, does anyone know?
>>>> 
>>>> Reg
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> On 27/06/2013, at 11:25 am, Reg Whitely <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>> 
>>>>> Thanks Daniel and Ronni
>>>>> 
>>>>> As an update, I've followed your advice, made a bootable backup using 
>>>>> CCCloner, backed up to Time Machine, erased the SSD, reinstalled OS X 
>>>>> from Recovery via a net download, and then restored apps and data from 
>>>>> Time Machine. All seems Ok at this time.
>>>>> 
>>>>> It wasn't quite as easy as that though, as after restarting with Opt key, 
>>>>> Disk Utility initially could not erase the disk as it "could not dismount 
>>>>> the disk", or words to that effect. Using Techtools Pro last week, 
>>>>> thinking it might fix the troubles I had with the computer, it had 
>>>>> installed an eDrive partition which simply could not be deleted. Disk 
>>>>> Utility could not repartition the SSD as again it  "could not dismount 
>>>>> the disk". Eventually I was able to erase each of the separate partitions 
>>>>> but the eDrive partition remained, albeit I could rename it something 
>>>>> else. I'm not sure I wanted that to remain so I decided to use the iMac 
>>>>> and restarted the MacBook in Target Firewire mode. I used Disk utility on 
>>>>> the iMac to repartition the SSD back to one partition.
>>>>> 
>>>>> Restarting the MacBook Pro with the Opt key down there was then no 
>>>>> Recovery Disk option (I guess I blew that away too) so the computer 
>>>>> prompted me to reinstall from the net, which I did.
>>>>> 
>>>>> From there it was easy to reinstall the data from Time Machine.
>>>>> 
>>>>> That entire process took around 6 hours, on and off. I was able to go 
>>>>> away and do other things as the Mountain Lion was dragged in through the 
>>>>> net!
>>>>> 
>>>>> All a bit puzzling to me but as I said, all seems to be well but time 
>>>>> will tell - when the next OS X update is released perhaps. 
>>>>> 
>>>>> *Ah yes I note the installed ML is 10.8.3 so there is a combo update 
>>>>> waiting in my downloads folder to deal with after I finish this email, so 
>>>>> I'll post an update when that has been installed!
>>>>> 
>>>>> Daniel, as an aside, I have received a response from Alsoft re Disk 
>>>>> Warrior and SSDs. I'll post it separately on-list. Look out for it as it 
>>>>> may raise some eyebrows and discussion ;-)
>>>>> 
>>>>> Regards and thanks
>>>>> 
>>>>> Reg
>>>> 
>>>> -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
>>>> Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
>>>> Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
>>>> Settings & Unsubscribe - 
>>>> <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>
>>> -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
>>> Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
>>> Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
>>> Settings & Unsubscribe - 
>>> <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>
>> 
>> Reg Whitely
>> 
>> Home: 08 9921 7272
>> Mob: 04 8899 7313
>> Email: [email protected]
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
>> Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
>> Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
>> Settings & Unsubscribe - 
>> <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>
> -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
> Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
> Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
> Settings & Unsubscribe - 
> <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>

Reg Whitely

Home: 08 9921 7272
Mob: 04 8899 7313
Email: [email protected]



-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Settings & Unsubscribe - <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>