Hi, Neil,

I just tried your expanded explanation, but it still didn’t work. Even if it 
did, it wouldn’t help because the point is, trying to avoid opening the files. 
Just trying to get a view of how the file displays without opening it in a 
browser. 

Thank you, anyway. Just now, I am downloading the combo 10.10.2 update and 
crossing my fingers.

Cheers,
Pat


> On 3 Feb 2015, at 19:06, Neil Houghton <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
> Hi Pat,
> 
> You misunderstood me - I actually said:
>> You could try opening the file in a browser (Firefox or Safari?) - I’m 
>> assuming it will display OK – and then try quicklook to see if it can now 
>> cope.
>> 
> The actual idea is to produce a “preview” of the page (preview in a more 
> general sense, rather than the Apple application).
> 
> 
> I mentioned that I DID use Preview (the Apple application) to solve the same 
> problem (lack of quicklook preview) with a PDF file (obviously Preview is the 
> app of choice for a PDF) - but to get a view of an HTML file, use a web 
> browser.
> 
> Sorry for any confusion.
> 
> 
> As I say, just a thought but really easy to try ;o)
> 
> 
> Cheers
> 
> 
> 
> Neil
> -- 
> Neil R. Houghton
> Albany, Western Australia
> Tel: +61 8 9841 6063
> Email: [email protected]
> 
> 
> 
> 
> on 3/2/15 16:32, Pat at [email protected] wrote:
> 
>> Hi, Ronni,
>> 
>> After reading the posts on the updating problems, I used 10.10.2 as I 
>> already had 10.10.1 installed.
>> Repaired permissions, but did not Repair Drive.
>> 
>> After reading the posts this afternoon, I tried the Preview trick mentioned 
>> by Neil, but Preview wouldn’t open a .html file.
>> 
>> So, I will try the other new suggestion, to go through the whole updating 
>> procedure again with the Combo 10.10.2 tomorrow.
>> 
>> Thanks, everybody
>> Pat
>> 
>> 
>> 
>>> On 3 Feb 2015, at 15:18, Ronda Brown <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> 
>>> I don't think Bare Bones can help, it does seem to be happening to quite a 
>>> few people who have updated to 10.10.2 ... not everyone is experiencing the 
>>> 'bug'.
>>> It worked in 10.10.1 but not working in 10.10.2 for many people.
>>> 
>>> You can file a Bug report to Apple as many have.
>>> <https://developer.apple.com/bug-reporting/using-bug-reporter/>
>>> 
>>> How did you update did you use the Combo update or just Software Update?
>>> Did you Repair Permissions, Repair Drive?
>>> 
>>> Ronni
>>> Sent from Ronni's iPad4
>>> 
>>> 
>>> On 3 Feb 2015, at 2:40 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>>> 
>>>> Thank you, Ronni. Unfortunately, it didn’t fix the problem.  I will write 
>>>> to Bare Bones again and see if they have any other solution.
>>>> 
>>>> I appreciate your help very much.
>>>> Pat
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>>> On 3 Feb 2015, at 13:01, Ronni Brown <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>>> 
>>>>> Hi Pat,
>>>>> 
>>>>> After you moved the .plist file to the Trash.
>>>>> Make sure you quit ALL applications before emptying the Trash, so that 
>>>>> the .plist file can properly be deleted. 
>>>>> If it doesn't work right away, restart your computer for the changes to 
>>>>> take effect.
>>>>> 
>>>>> Don't move the com.apple.launchservices.secure.plist
>>>>> 
>>>>> If you still have the problem the Terminal command is:
>>>>> Open up Terminal and enter the following two commands, each followed by 
>>>>> the Enter key. 
>>>>> NOTE: the spaces in he first command (copy & paste might be best)
>>>>> 
>>>>> These commands will rebuild the LaunchServices file and will refresh the 
>>>>> Finder so that the changes take effect. 
>>>>> You might have to wait a minute or two for the first command before 
>>>>> killing the Finder, as the database needs time to restructure itself.
>>>>> 
>>>>> /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister
>>>>>  -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user
>>>>> 
>>>>> killall Finder
>>>>> 
>>>>> If you still have the issue, it might not be Launch Services causing the 
>>>>> problem, but something else?
>>>>> 
>>>>> Cheers,
>>>>> Ronni
>>>>> 
>>>>>> On 3 Feb 2015, at 12:33 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> Hi, Ronni,
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> Thanks very much for your reply. I just did as you said, deleted the 
>>>>>> com.apple.LaunchServices.plist, rebooted, but it did not solve the 
>>>>>> problem, and the plist has not been recreated.
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> I see that there is also a directory called com.apple.LaunchServices and 
>>>>>> in it is com.apple.launchservices.secure.plist.  I did not do anything 
>>>>>> to this.
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> Do I need to do anything to recreate the plist?
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> I have used Terminal successfully for a few things in the past. I 
>>>>>> believe I can follow instructions to fix things.
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> Pat
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> On 3 Feb 2015, at 11:21, Ronni Brown <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> Hi Pat,
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> If you are not familiar with using Terminal, there are other options to 
>>>>>>> Rebuild Launch Services Database.
>>>>>>> Terminal or Onyx or try this first:
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> The (Tilde ~) means your Home Library which is hidden you need to 
>>>>>>> unhide it. You can open it easily enough by holding down Option while 
>>>>>>> choosing Library from the Finder’s Go menu.
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> 1. Quit all open applications 
>>>>>>> 2. Navigate to ~/Library/Preferences. Locate 
>>>>>>> com.apple.LaunchServices.plist, delete the file.
>>>>>>> 3.  Then Reboot your Mac. 
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> This should accomplish the same result as using OnyX or the Terminal 
>>>>>>> command.
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> Cheers,
>>>>>>> Ronni
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> 13-inch MacBook Air (April 2014)
>>>>>>> 1.7GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost to 3.3GHz
>>>>>>> 8GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
>>>>>>> 512GB PCIe-based Flash Storage
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> OS X Yosemite 10.10.2
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> On 3 Feb 2015, at 10:39 am, [email protected] wrote:
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> Hi, Peter,
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> Thanks for your reply. I looked through the very long list of plugins, 
>>>>>>>> but didn’t see one for html. However, I also wrote to Bare Bones and 
>>>>>>>> they replied, “Since Quicklook is an OS service which does not depend 
>>>>>>>> on applications but rather file info, I'm reasonably sure the cause of 
>>>>>>>> this misbehavior is that your Mac's Launch Services database has 
>>>>>>>> become damaged (perhaps as a side-effect of the OS upgrade), and I 
>>>>>>>> therefore recommend you try rebuilding it.”  They suggested 
>>>>>>>> downloading TinkerTool, which I did. They also said that there were 
>>>>>>>> command line solutions.
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> Unfortunately, I don’t know how to use TinkerTool or command line to 
>>>>>>>> rebuild the Launch Services database. I’m willing to try either way. 
>>>>>>>> Instructions hopefully requested.
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> Thanks,
>>>>>>>> Pat
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> 
> On 3 Feb 2015, at 07:24, Peter Hinchliffe <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
> BBedit is very much alive and kicking. It is currently at version 11 on Bare 
> Bones Software’s site. Their companion product, TextWranger, has the 
> advantage that it’s free, but lacks the high-end tools offered by BBedit. <Go 
> to http://www.barebones.com/products/bbedit/comparison.html> 
> <http://www.barebones.com/products/bbedit/comparison.html%3E> for a 
> comprehensive comparison.
> 
> I don’t know what t tell you about your Quicklook issues. Quicklook is 
> working perfectly for me on html files under Yosemite 10.10.2. You might find 
> an alternative solution at <http://www.quicklookplugins.com 
> <http://www.quicklookplugins.com/> <http://www.quicklookplugins.com 
> <http://www.quicklookplugins.com/> >. 
> 
> 
> Peter Hinchliffe        Apwin Computer Services
> FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer
> Perth, Western Australia
> Phone (618) 9332 6482    Mob 0403 046 948
> --------------------------------------------------------------------
> Mac because I prefer it -- Windows because I have to.
> -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
> Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
> Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
> Settings & Unsubscribe - 
> <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>

-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Settings & Unsubscribe - <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>