Hi Ronni, I recognised that during the process of trying to verify the iPad had
somehow become not connected to the Wifi network. I simply reconnected to the
Wifi  which allowed the iPad to positively allow the Find my iPad to switch
off. So this allowed me to do a proper reset and then restore from iTunes. Long
Tory short - same outcome. Still no "Start new conversations from" section.
Everything else is as it was.

So I think I have to reset my Apple ID password after all so I can administer
devices.

Thinking some more on this.

Regards

Pete