Hi Peter,

I’ve added to your subject - iCloud Family Sharing

I was not going to add anything more as I've given you all information on
iCloud Family Sharing before, and mentioned that you first needed to update
your Apple ID password security. Which you chose to ignore until Apple support
also told you to.

I’ll copy and paste more info from my documents on iCloud Family Sharing below
---
iCloud Family Sharing
iCloud Family Sharing requires Yosemite or later, or iOS 8 or later, so I
recommend using it only if all your family’s devices are running recent
versions of their respective operating systems. If your family fits that
profile, here’s what you’ll get for up to six family members:

        • All family members’ purchases of media from Apple are charged to the
credit card of the person you designate as the family organizer. (Family
members who have enough credit in their own Apple ID accounts can use that
credit to buy something without using the shared card.)

        • Kids (who can get special Apple IDs of their own even if they’re
under 13) can request media purchases from a parent, who must approve each one
individually.

        • All family members can access each others’ media, although you can
hide particular items of your own that you don’t want to share.

        • A shared family photo album, calendar, and reminder list are created.

        • Family members can more easily share their locations (with Find My
Friends) and locate their devices (with Find My Device).

Partial workarounds for some of these things already existed, but Family
Sharing makes the process much more convenient.
—
Enable Family Sharing
You can enable Family Sharing on either a Mac or an iOS device. Once it’s
enabled on one of your devices, it’s enabled on all of them. I’ll explain the
steps on a Mac here; if you use an iOS device, the process is similar except
you go to Settings > iCloud to start. Follow these steps:

        1. On a Mac, go to System Preferences > iCloud.

        2. Click Set Up Family.

        3. Click through five informational screens, confirming that you really
want to do this, and agreeing to the terms and conditions.

        4. In the dialog that appears, click Add Family Member to add one or
more family members:

                • ‣  For adults (and children with existing Apple IDs): Select
“Enter a family member’s name or email address,” enter the name or address, and
click Continue. Each invited family member will receive an email invitation and
must follow its instructions to accept the invitation.

                • ‣  For children without Apple IDs: Select “Create an Apple ID
for a child who doesn’t have an account,” click Continue, and then follow the
prompts. (See below Your Child’s Password, for important advice on choosing a
password.) You’ll have to select an iCloud username for your child (which will
become the child’s Apple ID), but then several screens go by before you’re told
if that username is available. If it isn’t, you’ll have to go back to the
child’s information screen, enter a new choice, and then step through the
process again—but at least the information you entered previously will still be
there.

Enter your credit card’s three- or four-digit security code when prompted.

To add another member, click the plus   button and repeat this process.

        • When you’re done, click Done.

To add or remove people later, go to System Preferences > iCloud and click
Manage Family. You can then change family members or adjust their details.

Your Child’s Password

Your child’s account password, like any iCloud account password, must meet
Apple’s minimum requirements—“at least eight characters, a number, an uppercase
letter, and a lowercase letter.” Normally I would suggest making passwords
stronger than the minimum.

However, in the case of a password for a very young child— consider keeping it
on the simpler side. That’s because the child will need to enter the password
in order to Use Ask to Buy—and if your child has to pester you to look up and
enter a long, complex password every time he wants to download a game, that
defeats part of the purpose of Ask to Buy in the first place, in that the child
can’t complete the process independently of the parent. On the flip side, the
presence of Ask to Buy (assuming you have it enabled) reduces the security risk
of a less-strong password.
—
Share Calendar and Reminders
Each participating family member automatically has a Family calendar added to
Calendar (on OS X and iOS, and in the Calendar Web app) and a Family reminder
list added to Reminders. So, any events or reminders you assign to Family will
appear for all family members.

But what if you already had a shared family calendar (whether or not it was
called “Family”)? That calendar will still exist alongside the new one. If you
want to switch over to the new Family calendar without losing all the events in
your old family calendar, do this:

        • In Calendar on a Mac, select your old family calendar.

        • Choose File > Export > Export, choose a name and destination, and
click Export.

        • Choose File > Import, select the calendar you just exported, and
click Import.

        • In the Add Event dialog that appears, select your new Family
calendar. Click OK.

        • After Calendar imports the events into your Family calendar, you’ll
have two copies of each one—one each on the old and new family calendars. Skim
these to make sure all your events are indeed present on both calendars.

        • Select your old family calendar, choose Edit > Delete, and click
Delete to confirm.

The new family calendar will be used for family events from now on.
—
Share Family Photos

Family Sharing creates a new shared photo album called Family on all the
family’s devices. Add photos to this album just like any other album, and
they’re available to all family members.
—
Use Find My Noun

Family Sharing makes it easier for family members to use Find My Friends and
Find My Device

        • Find My Friends: Turning on Family Sharing automatically adds all
family members to each others’ Find My Friends app, so you can find out where
each family member is (or, to be more accurate, where each person’s primary iOS
device is).

        • Find My Device: On any or all of the family’s Macs and iOS devices,
family members can enable Find My Device (Find My Mac, Find My iPhone, etc.) in
System Preferences > iCloud (Mac) or in Settings > iCloud (iOS).

Once that’s done, when you open the Find My iPhone app for iOS, or the Find My
iPhone Web app at icloud.com <https://www.icloud.com/#find>, your personal
devices appear at the top of the All Devices list (under a My Devices heading),
followed by headings for each family member’s devices.
—
Share Media

Once Family Sharing is set up, media purchased from Apple by any family member
is available to the other family members, and new purchases are charged to the
organizer’s credit card. This is similar to how you can re-download your own
media.

To see and download another family member’s purchases:

• Mac apps: In the App Store app on your Mac, click Purchased and then choose a
family member’s name from the Purchased pop-up menu at the top.

• iOS apps: In the iOS App Store app, go to Updates > Purchased (iPhone) or
Purchased > My Purchases (iPad) and tap a family member’s name.
Note: Some apps are not shareable among family members. (This is at the
developer’s discretion) Look at an app’s description in the App Store, and
you’ll see a Family Sharing entry that says either “Available” or “Not
Available.”

• Books: In iBooks for Mac, go to Store > Store Home and click the Purchased
link. Then choose a family member’s name from the pop- up menu next to
Purchased at the top.

In iBooks for iOS, go to Purchased (and then, on an iPad, to My Purchases) and
tap a family member’s name.

• Music, TV shows, and movies: In iTunes for Mac, click iTunes Store on the
navigation bar, click the Purchased link, and choose a family member’s name
from the pop-up menu next to Purchased at the top.

On an iOS device, open the iTunes Store app and then go to More > Purchased
(iPhone) or Purchased > My Purchases (iPad) and tap a family member’s name.

On an Apple TV, go to Movies > Purchased > Shared Movies or TV Shows >
Purchased > Shared TV Shows and select a family member’s name.

Note: If you subscribe to iTunes Match, your matched or uploaded tracks won’t
be available via Family Sharing because they weren’t purchased from Apple.
--
Hide Purchased Apps

To hide an app you’ve purchased from other members of your family, do this:

iOS: Go to App Store > Updates > Purchased > My Purchases (iPhone) or Purchased
> My Purchases (iPad), swipe an app name to the left, and tap Hide.

Mac: Go to App Store > Purchased, right-click (or Control-click) an app, and
choose Hide Purchase from the contextual menu. Click Hide Purchase to confirm.
—
Use Ask to Buy

If your family includes children, you may want to use Family Sharing’s Ask to
Buy feature. Follow these steps:

1.  Go to System Preferences > iCloud > Manage Family (Mac) or Settings >
iCloud > Family (iOS), select a family member, and turn on Ask to Buy (it’s on
by default for new children’s accounts).

2.  To designate another adult as a parent or guardian who can approve
purchases, go to System Preferences > iCloud > Manage Family, select that
person, and select Parent/Guardian.

3.  On each child’s device, log in with the child’s Apple ID in both iCloud
(System Preferences or Settings) and each media app (iTunes, App Store, iBooks).

4.  On each adult’s device, log in with the adult’s Apple ID in all the same
places.

Thereafter, after the child clicks or taps the Buy or Install button in any of
Apple’s apps where media can be downloaded and enters her password, an Ask
Permission alert appears.
When the child clicks or taps the Ask button in that alert, parents get a
notification that they can approve or decline.

Peter, I do not have first hand advice on this question per se, other than I
have assisted clients to setup their iCloud Family Sharing and they are happy
since making the change over to iCloud Family Sharing.