Hi Peter,

My comments in situ.

> On 28 Jun 2016, at 8:15 PM, Peter Crisp <petercr...@westnet.com.au> wrote:
>
> Hi Ronni, I did that and still no good. I then did a "Clear all content and
> settings" and then restore from backup - same issue after setup.
>
> I am puzzled by my inability to being able to get into the "Manage your Apple
> ID" page. When logging in I am presented with "Update your Apple ID". A bit
> of a Catch 22 situation. To get into Update the Apple ID, I need to be able
> to log in, I am unable to log in as I am presented with "Update your Apple
> ID" BEFORE I can go any further.

Sounds like Apple wants you to update your password to a more secure password
and add ‘two-factor authentication' if you haven’t already.
<https://appleid.apple.com>  < https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201303>

> This issue with Messages below is only affecting ONE device out of 13 in my
> family, and at that, it is just affecting the ability to send iMessages - for
> my 9 yo daughter! Hardly the strongest motivator for me to resolve urgently,
> but my conviction requires me to sort it! I know if I don't sort it, one day
> it will bite me when I can least afford it.

Are you sure your daughter’s email is working on her iPad and that iMessage is
activated & her email address is ‘verified’?

Have you checked the settings in Messages on daughter’s iPad that iMessage is
activated after the iPad was offline (not connected to the Network)?
Settings > Messages > turn iMessage ON and wait for it to activate.

These instructions work for times when you need to re-activate iMessage due to
a network error.
Just toggle it on and off.

> A parallel question if there are others out there with the same set up - ie
> all family members with ONE Apple ID across all devices for multiple family
> members. The introduction of the Family Share feature came AFTER I had
> numerous family members all with Apple devices/MacBooks and all with the same
> Apple ID. It has worked successfully for years - easy app sharing, Photos
> sharing, etc and easy enough to manage security with kids buying/not buying
> apps without authority. Do others recommend staying with one Apple ID for all
> family members OR make the change to a Family Share arrangement where each
> family member has their own Apple ID yet linked within the Crisp Family for
> the ability to share apps and other features? How does one migrate all these
> devices to their respecive new user specific Apple ID and what are the up and
> downsides to this? Does Find my iPhone when migrated to a Family Shared
> arrangement present all Family devices in the one panel (for the Family) as
> it does currently for me - or will I have to use Find my Friends for other
> family
> members?

Turning on Family Sharing automatically adds all family members to each others’
Find My Friends
<https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/find-my-friends/id466122094?mt=8>app, so you
can find out where each family member is (or, to be more accurate, where each
person’s primary iOS device is).

Family Sharing requires Yosemite or iOS 8, so use it only if all your family’s
devices are running the latest versions of their respective operating systems.
If your family fits that profile, here’s what you’ll get for up to six family
members:

• All family members’ purchases of media from Apple are charged to the credit
card of the person you designate as the family organizer. (Family members who
have enough credit in their own Apple ID accounts can use that credit to buy
something without using the shared card.)

• Kids (who can get special Apple IDs of their own even if they’re under 13)
can request media purchases from a parent, who must approve each one
individually.

(Kids under 13 can have their own Apple IDs
<https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201084>.  As a parent or legal guardian, the
organizer creates the child’s Apple ID You’ll have to select an iCloud username
for your child (which will become the child’s Apple ID) and adds the child to
the family group.
Ask to Buy is turned on by default, and the organizer can also limit the
content kids have access to on their devices through Restrictions on an iOS
device or parental controls in OS X and iTunes.)

• All family members can access each others’ media, although you can hide
particular items of your own that you don’t want to share.

• A shared family photo album, calendar, and reminder list are created.

• Family members can more easily share their locations (with Find My Friends)
and locate their devices (with Find My Device).

Details and instructions how to setup Family Sharing at this link:
<http://www.apple.com/icloud/family-sharing/
<http://www.apple.com/icloud/family-sharing/>>

13-inch MacBook Air (April 2014)
1.7GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost to 3.3GHz
8GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
512GB PCIe-based Flash Storage

El Capitan OS X 10.11.5