Hi Allen,

Yes, stop your CCC Backups & turn Time Machine backups off, after you do your
final backups and disconnect any external drives, prior to downloading &
installing Sierra.

I suggest you wait until you have installed and thoroughly tested Sierra before
commencing your CCC & Time Machine backup routine.

Sent from Ronni's iPad4