Am Dienstag, 19. September 2006 22:29 schrieb Christian Ohm:
> (Just to mention it again, I am not a lawyer, so take the legal stuff
> with a grain of salt.)
>
> On Tuesday, 19 September 2006 at 16:02, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > We know that the source code itself is GPL, but in the source code
> > files, I think I saw some (c)Pumpkin still there?  The novideo.rpl
> > file itself also has a (c) as was pointed out, as do the rest of the
> > video files in the original(?) archive, and all the wav files
> > ..and..so on
> >
> > Doesn't releasing the whole thing under GPL mean everything in the
> > archive is GPL also?
>
> The README doesn't give any restrictions on the stuff contained in the
> source archive, so there is no indication that anything in there doesn't
> fall under the respective license (whatever that may be in the case of
> the data). It would have been more correct to actually remove any old
> copyright notices, but I guess they didn't have the time for that.

(Parts of) GPL preamble and paragraphs 0 (zero? some legal special sense
paragraph?) and 1:
---
[...]
  We protect your rights with two steps: (1) copyright the software, and
(2) offer you this license which gives you legal permission to copy,
distribute and/or modify the software.
[...]

  0. This License applies to any program or other work which contains
a notice placed by the copyright holder saying it may be distributed
under the terms of this General Public License.
[...]

  1. You may copy and distribute verbatim copies of the Program's
source code as you receive it, in any medium, provided that you
conspicuously and appropriately publish on each copy an appropriate
copyright notice and disclaimer of warranty
[...]
---

I get this as:
- The "work" is copyrighted. (pre: "copyright the software")
- Copyright notices must stay. (1: "publish [...] [a] copyright notice")
- The copyright persist after applying the GPL. (0: "copyright holder")

> > Would be nice if the main WZ site could put up a bot in both rooms and
> > have a archive section in the main WZ site, so we can see what all is
> > going on.  There are lots of logging IRC bots available for free that
> > can be used.
>
> I guess Kamaze is the one to ask there.
I must admit that I would not like such a official "what the devs said last
summer [about Mr. Bush]" logs...

> > Looks like over 60% of the talk is (was)on IRC, and that is the place
> > where things get said/done ?
>
> Depends. I rather like the mailing list, as I prefer totally
> asynchronous communication (at least for more important things).
He didn't ask what you like. ;)

Discussion takes place mostly on IRC and if something which could get official
turns out of it, it is taken to the mailinglist for official discussion.

So what we talk about on IRC is either in preproduction state (dunno how to
call it) or is allready widely know (because mentioned on the list, the
forums or the wiki).

And I still can't understand those people who like to listen to what other
people are talking on IRC, but not wanting to participate in that talk and
rather want to read the logs of it in their own small, dark, secret room...
If you want to read something official which will persist to exists during the
next days, then you can read the list, wiki or maybe even forums. If you want
to help build that official info, you can come join us in our talk (list or
IRC, whatever you want). If you want neither of the 2, I am sorry, but I
can't and don't want to give you anything.

> > To finish, the net code doesn't seem to be reliable for platform
> > mixing.
That's widely known among the devs.
It sometimes for some people works and other times for other people doesn't.
I can only tell what my own experiences are: It works amazingly good (given
you know the coding doing it) for some time now.
And for 2.0 we have no plans to increase the network stability. For 2.1 this
will probably get better as the netcode will probably be replaced with
something less insane.

> > If we convert to something that has a different license, like this
> > "Creative Commons Attribution - NonCommercial 2.5 license"
> > Would that work with GPL distros?
> > Was thinking of playing around with www.rakkarsoft.com's game
> > network library it is cross platform.
>
> As it is not GPL anymore, RakNet is (sadly) out of the question. The CC
> license isn't GPL compatible, so if we use it, no Distribution can
> actually package Warzone.
And SDL_net(2) provides allready a good framework...

--Dennis

PS: To whoever will do the netcode rewrite: Please have a look at SDL_net2, I
think this could ease the process a lot. (Google for it and you will find a
my mail to this list about using it in Warzone to be the first search
result. ;) )