Am Montag, 27. November 2006 22:37 schrieb Giel van Schijndel:
> Fearthecute schreef:
> > Troman schrieb:
> >> Sorry I don't know about this, I hope Watermelon is reading this.
> >>
> >> As a long term goal we should consider converting txt files into a more
> >> user friendly format, this could also bring more people into modding.
> >> Since some lines consist of more than 20 entries of different types
> >> having tags or some other value descriptors will be helpfull (especially
> >> for files like structures.txt or weapons.txt). Naturally 'xml' comes to
> >> my mind.
> >
> > XML is slow.
> > With this amout of files, really slow.
> >
> > I would say, we should optimize the current engine as far as possible.
> > There must be some big Performance leaks,...
> >
> > ~ 100 MB Ram usage + ~80% CPU usage on a Athlon 2000+.
> > (even with shadows off)
> >
> > Try to remember, the old warzone runs at 32 MB Ram and ~300 MHz CPU.
> > There must be some really big holes :)
>
> What about using XML purely for data storage. Then upon compiling
> my experience if you make use of transactions a lot. This way you'd only
> have to load the database, have no need to reserve rather large chunks
> of memory to contain the data for the current playing map, etc.
You mean that in version shiped with the installer there should be just a
sqlite db?

That would reduce the flexibility for all, coders, moders and artist a lot...
They want to change the data and immediately see the results in the game, what
would be impossible with a sqlite db, where additional db browsers (where
getting a good one might be hard) would also be needed.
So I don't think this is a good idea.