Dennis Schridde schreef:
> Am Montag, 27. November 2006 22:37 schrieb Giel van Schijndel:
>
>> Fearthecute schreef:

>>> XML is slow.
>>> With this amout of files, really slow.
>>>
>>> I would say, we should optimize the current engine as far as possible.
>>> There must be some big Performance leaks,...
>>>
>>> ~ 100 MB Ram usage + ~80% CPU usage on a Athlon 2000+.
>>> (even with shadows off)
>>>
>>> Try to remember, the old warzone runs at 32 MB Ram and ~300 MHz CPU.
>>> There must be some really big holes :)
>>>
>> What about using XML purely for data storage. Then upon compiling
>> my experience if you make use of transactions a lot. This way you'd only
>> have to load the database, have no need to reserve rather large chunks
>> of memory to contain the data for the current playing map, etc.
>>
> You mean that in version shiped with the installer there should be just a
> sqlite db?
>
> That would reduce the flexibility for all, coders, moders and artist a lot...
> They want to change the data and immediately see the results in the game,
> what
> would be impossible with a sqlite db, where additional db browsers (where
> getting a good one might be hard) would also be needed.
> So I don't think this is a good idea.

Well it is of course just as well possible to include a database
generator in the game itself and let it regenerate (parts of) the
database when it detects changed .xml-files.

So for the part of making changes and wanting to see the results
immediately shouldn't be a real obstacle I think.

What I find important to notice as well is that Lua is really a
programming/scripting language where-as XML is really a data-container
format. So storing data in XML seems more intuitive from that point of
view to me. Then when speed comes into play sqlite (or any other
database engine) is (to my opinion) by far out the best solution to work
on huge sets of data.

--
Giel