On Friday, 13 June 2008 at  8:35, Per Inge Mathisen wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 1:35 AM, Christian Ohm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > For playback I'd prefer using FFMPEG to the OGG libraries directly,
> > since this will make it easier for others to make movies for mods
> > without lossy reencoding into obscure formats.
>
> Note that ffmpeg is not distributed by most linux distributions,
> because of many murky patent issues, and usually has to be separately
> installed by the end user. For this reason I would prefer to use the
> ogg libraries.

It is not? Debian has a version included (stripped of all suspicious
stuff), so I'd assumed the others to include such as well. Without it,
what do they do for Blender, for example? Ship a version without video
support?

Anyway, if ffmpeg is generally available, using it instead of the ogg
libraries directly would be much more flexible. If not, well, then ogg
it is.