Hello,

This is not too different from what the Davis instruments do. For their
LOOP packets (emitted every 2.5 seconds), they include a current wind speed
(type 'windSpeed'), and a 10 minute average wind speed ('windSpeed10').
However, their wind gust (type 'windGust') is included only in their
archive record (or can be calculated by weewx).

Your particular definition of windGust is different from what weewx
expects. If you want to use it, then I would recommend defining a new type
for its particular semantics.

See, also, the Wiki discussion
<https://github.com/weewx/weewx/wiki/windgust> on wind speeds.

-tk