With my HW, I can achieve something similar : 1 measurement every 3
seconds.
After thinking about it,  it may have no meaning to do the average on
sensor side because weewx will do the job.

So I can report windspeed every 3sec and weewx will display
($current.windSpeed)  average over 5minutes (my record interval).

Then I wonder how to deal with gusts.

In case of davis/software records, how is calculated the windgust based on
the 2.5s packets?
Is this done inside the driver?