Hello Thomas and thanks for your answer!

I think my definition is not far from some explanation in the wiki (but maybe I
misexplained or misunderstood).
Wiki says:
Rapid fluctuations in the wind speed with a variation of 10 knots or more
between peaks and lulls. The speed of the gust will be the maximum
instantaneous wind speed.

18km/h is 10knots

The definition I founds talked about 10knots between peak and 10minute average.
This has the advantage to be calculable, while "lulls" is maybe harder to
evaluate.

Anyway I'm very open to discussion on this.

As you mentioned the davis... What does weewx do with the 2.5sec windspeed and
the windspeed10?