The key to this issue is not what is in a Vantage packet but rather what is
weeWX sending to WU in your rapidfire GETs. WU rapidfire is very susceptible to
fields in the GET being empty or omitted. Rapidfire caching was implemented in
v3.7.0 to workaround this for all stations that emit partial packets. If you
are running 3.7.0 or later and your rapidfire GETs are missing fields or data
then something is wrong; the caching maybe setup incorrectly (cached values are
only retained for so long) or otherwise not working. It is impossible to say
without seeing the data being sent in the rapidfire GET. From memory you need
to set debug=3 to see that info. Definitely no need to reinvent the wheel, I
think we are better off fixing the one we have now.

Gary