Had good luck with Lenovo ThinkCentre M700 Tiny with 8GB ram.  It runs the
free version of  VMware ESXi. Two weewx vm's, plex and home assistant run
fine. USB pass through for the SDR dongle. I have a cold spare M700 Tiny
and backup the vm's to a network share. Network share is Pine Quartz64
Model A with SATA card and two SSD's in software RAID

   - Good SD card
   - Proper Power Supply
   - Try to limit writes
   - UPS

Had to change a UPS battery, that is why the uptime is so low.
root@raspberrypi2-0:~# uptime
 05:39:48 up 256 days,  4:43,  1 user,  load average: 0.44, 0.48, 0.49
root@raspberrypi3-1:~# uptime
 13:42:09 up 256 days,  4:45,  2 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
root@raspberrypi:~# uptime
 13:42:56 up 343 days, 14:50,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
root@raspberrypi4-1:~# uptime
 05:43:49 up 44 days, 13:49,  1 user,  load average: 0.53, 0.38, 0.30
## This one boots off of a USB SSD, for what ever reason locks up

Andy