> Just to make sure, what is the main reason for this?

There is an old forum thread where people expressed their concerns:
http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?t=21082
There are others but that is probably one of the most significant.

So I will say, I think I agree with you a bit, in that I don't think the
"GPL is obviously bad for art". The GPL has a lot going for it:

1.) It's easier to read the fine print of the GPLv2 license for instance
than to read the fine print of CC-BY-SA 3.0, in my opinion, and that's
probably what you should responsibly do rather than only read the CC
"executive summaries".

2.) The GPL is known to be compatible with a wide range of licenses:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#GPLCompatibleLicenses
The CC licenses by contrast aren't really compatible with anything else:
http://creativecommons.org/compatiblelicenses

But ultimately, the CC licenses have been overwhelmingly adopted by
artists, by wikipedia et al., by more or less everyone. The GPL art creates
a lot of uncertainty because

1.) It seems there is no consensus on how the "preferred modifiable form"
language applies to music, sprites and portraits. Most projects seem not to
try to force artists to release their project files just because the final
content is listed GPL. We have a README statement in our repo explaining
that we feel that the .png and .ogg files are a preferred modifiable form.
But the prospect of possibly being forced to do this is not acceptable to
the artists. And there are many forum posts by outsiders and developers
expressing fear that that might legally be what the GPL requires. It's
pretty hard to guarantee that no court will ever interpret it that way, and
if it happened I guess we would have a hot mess, because we generally don't
have the project files anymore.

2.) If you think that it indeed does make sense to GPL art even if the
source code requirement is vacuous, then presumably that's because you
think that GPL art can "infect" other art (or code?) in our project or in a
different project -- otherwise what does GPL'ing it accomplish that putting
it under CC-0 or similar doesn't. But we seem to have a consensus that that
cannot happen in a game, or at least that it doesn't happen in games that
are similar wesnoth. So it's not clear what is achieved by GPL'ing our art.

Ultimately, there's very little achieved by having "clever" licensing
that's different from other projects, other than confusing people and
creating intractable legal situations. The forum thread indicated was
apparently seven years ago... and since then most games seem to have
converged on "GPL the code, CC-BY-SA the art". So why not just get with the
times?

Best Regards,
Chris Beck