Igor Vaynberg wrote:
> it also explains why java gets its feature improvements at such a
> snail pace, and why generics/autoboxing are so horribly half baked
> (imho of course). if you are looking for stability then dont cross the
> major version threshold. eg we will never horribly break api between
> 1.2 and 1.3. our primary concern is to innovate and improve the
> framework - sometimes that means taking a step back and radically
> rethinking some concepts - which leads to huge api breaks. we save
> these for major versions.
It is quite normal to have API changes with major versions, but still
then it is also good practice to keep old APIs alive for some time to
allow users to migrate. Hibernate for instance did it in a good way.
They also made some major changes going from version 2 to 3 but did it
in such a way that the old APIs were still available (classic package)
and that the new APIs were practically the same, with good documentation
describing how to migrate.

If major redesign would be required for applications using wicket at
every major release then this would be a serious obstacle for using it
for commercial applications. In that case, it is probably best to stick
to the standards (JSP, JSF) with really heavy home-baked frameworks on
top of them (even though this approach sucks).

Anyway, wicket is on a good track I think. As long as changes to
existing components are minor and as long as you keep it simple.