On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 9:13 PM,  <jmccl...@hypergrove.com> wrote:
> I do appreciate that Denny Jeroen and Markus cross-fertilize. But the money
> is flowing now towards rewriting SMW from scratch, which worries me as I am
> fairly sure there will be no good migration path at the inevitable time SMW
> support is terminated. The fact that one (is said) to be only for small

I don't see SMW going away anytime soon if people like you continue to
support and push it.

> wikis (which I dispute) and the other is not, is hardly a functional
> difference that will prevent confusion overlap inefficiency. As I've said
> elsewhere, saying one is capable of multi-lingual support while implying the
> other is not, is simply wrong -- smw is fine for multilingual support if the
> implemented data model has appropriate language tags. (note: I am creating a
> multi-lingual wiki now, based on smw, for a client).

Yes but the point was that it is not an integral part of SMW while it
is very much so one of Wikidata.

> My point is that for maximum success, wikidata should strive to welcome the
> smw community (back) into the mw community, to have support from those who
> put their professional faith in smw. By your own admission that there is
> substantial overlap, Wikidata will consequently and permanently split the
> SMW community, and this sickens me.

It is obviously not our goal and intention to split the SMW community.
I hope you know that.
We are actually doing our part of what you are asking for. We are
bringing the ideas and some of the code of SMW closer to the MW
community again imho. We are however not using SMW for this completely
and shoe-horning it into something that it is not.
That being said things can always be improved and I will do my best to
make suggestions how to do that reality with you all.

Cheers
Lydia

Community Communications for Wikidata

Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.