"In the beginning there was the word..." :)

In the begining there was the Internet, and the ability for people to
publish on it and express themselves. As epxressive individuals they were
small nodes, connected by way of the Internet. When their connections to
other nodes become stronger, they came closer together. Over time (and all
the right agreements) they become close in fact they were indistinguishable
from one another. Indivdually they grouped to form a bigger node, but it is
now slightly more difficult for them to connect to new nodes because more of
their energy is spent refering to each other and keeping their bigger node
connected and strong. They are starting to loose the benefit of being in a
long tail <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Long_Tail>.

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 9:32 AM, Peter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Leigh,
>
> I get your point. And I do agree with you that if you don't facilitate
> mash-up practices you reduce connections, and therefore the network
> becomes smaller and restrained... openness is the way... I guess these
> subtleties are why so much discussion occurs regarding the meaning of
> open...
>
> I also get your point about items that connect nodes vs. being the
> nodes themselves. All this said I would think that Lawrence Lessig at
> one point would have been considered a node evangelizing the benefits
> of a creative commons, through time the CC has become a part of the
> conduit. Like flickr, it was at one time a small group hacking
> together a photo sharing site (there were a group). Linux at one time
> was an individual project... So could it be that all nodes or conduit
> technologies start as individuals or small groups... I seek an example
> where a network just appeared without it first being started by a
> small group or individual...
>
> Cheers, Peter
>
> On Nov 3, 12:00 pm, "Leigh Blackall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Interesting Peter, I hadn't considered that list as nodes in a network. I
> > suppose they are in some ways, but I have always considered them as the
> > things that connect the real nodes - the platforms that facilitate
> > communication between nodes.
> >
> > Take your K12 project on WikiEd. I see that as a node or nodes, both
> > embodied in the content, and in you as the personal point of contact. K12
> > may someday connect with a similar or complimentary project on
> Wikispaces..
> > with a particular blog post.. a Youtube video.. another individual who
> works
> > on her own space, but through certain technologies - feeds into K12...
> etc.
> > This same networking of information and people can happen inside a single
> > platform such as Wikieducator - but I would question its capacities if it
> > where only inside Wikied.
> >
> > Things that make the networked "mission" succeed: Using digital formats
> > published openly online. Use of CC By to unrestrict reuse and sampling (I
> > suspect copyright will be a thing of the past in the not too distant
> future,
> > if Google's approach to it is anything to go by).
> >
> > Trappings that can undo the flexibility of a network: Prescribing certain
> > practices - such as CC By, Open Format Standards or Open Source Software
> (as
> > much as I appreciate their worth, the loss in potential connections is
> too
> > great if we insist on these too much). Not facilitating "mashup"
> practices
> > (embedding 3rd party media). Centralising services. Policies that police,
> > and so on.
> >
> > On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 7:12 AM, Peter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > Leigh,
> [...]

Leigh Blackall
+64(0)21736539
skype - leigh_blackall