Though it seems a bit odd but on a commons perspective it is also a normal
procedure. Commons has a huge issue with people finding images online and then
uploading them as their own work, so regular contributors on commons can
sometimes be overzealous in making sure that people actually have the right to
release what they are releasing. That is where the OTRS system comes in. Rather
than complaining to the process could you please for once think that this is
your project too and everyone in this together?

We, from WLM Bangladesh team have created a work-board/list for such users who
have problem with metadata, previously published same image on other media to
make sure that they are actually own the copyright. we even created a hand book
for reviewers explaining what to look during the review
(https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:NahidSultan/WLM). So, every reviewer
check for those mistakes when reviewing an image then if they found such
problematic user they immediately contact them via email or talk page and list
them on
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:NahidSultan/WLM/possible_copyright_problem.
  It works for us.

Best,