I've been surprised at the low prices at Wikimania in Hongkong.

When I attend scientific conferences, the conference fee is
typically a few hundred Euro (or Dollar), usually enough to
cover the full cost of the conference. That said, these
conferences are often organised ad-hoc, or within a very small
scientific organisation without much external funding. Moreover,
the fees are not really paid by the attendees, but rather by
universities or research grants.

I found the low price for Wikimania a very positive thing.

On the other hand, I would prefer to have a tighter, more
focussed, and better structured program. Breaks should
be breaks, sessions should be strictly time-boxed, session
chairs should be in control of timing, and maybe the rate
of acceptance of talks should be stricter. While I
like the bazaar-like atmosphere, it made it very hard to
get to talks in time, and very frustrating for speakers
who had to deal with large audience fluctuations much of
the time.

Bye,

    Stephan

  Please email me as sch...@eprover.org (Stephan Schulz)