I agree that the 1000000th article is much better than no article on the subject, and I too joined the project with no previous training ----- Original Message ----- From: "Balázs Viczián" <balazs.vicz...@wikimedia.hu>
Sent: Monday, June 17, 2013 2:05 PM
Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] Swedish Wikipedia reach 1 million (with supportof bots)

I am totally supportive of the idea to create articles in this way if they
are more than a simple infobox with 5-6 stats in it. The bot generated form
[1] of the millionth Swedish article is where these bot generated articles
can start from; a useful stub. If we take seriously this "collect the sum
of all knowledge" bla bla, then absolutely ok to generate such articles,
moreover it should be done wherever, whenever possible (like with the
Swedish lakes).

Having zillions of articles will generate a lot of new editors from the
simple fact that more people will have chance (and larger chance) to bump
into wiki articles while browsing the internet. Or in an easier form:
Wikipedia will reach more people by cover more and more topics in a more an
more detailed form.

The first problem, you mention is who will maintain them. Well, probably
those who join through this massive expansion; who are already interested
in butterflies and actively learning about them on the net. Or those who
find their favourite fishing lake on Wiki and add some pictures and a bit
more detailed info about them.

The other problem what you're describing is that all of these future new
editors will be "unqualified" (ni your wording "idiots") while all the
chapters are heavily working on "creating" qualified editors through their
various education programs.

My question is: is this really a problem? How many of you joined Wikipedia
after being "educated" how to edit and stuff and how many of you joined by
"bumping" into articles so many times that you've eventually started
editing them? How many of you started as "idiots"?

I did.

Balázs

[1]
http://sv.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Erysichton_elaborata&oldid=21735451