From: wikimedia-l-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org
[mailto:wikimedia-l-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org] On Behalf Of Shlomi Fish
Sent: 03 July 2014 01:02 PM
To: Michael Maggs
Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] The tragedy of Commons

Hi Michael,

On Fri, 27 Jun 2014 16:16:58 +0100
Michael Maggs <mich...@maggs.name> wrote:

> Anyone with even a passing familiarity with the notice boards on
> Commons, or who is subscribed to this mailing list, will be aware of a
> huge, wide-ranging and unfocused set of disputes and ill-natured
> arguments that have been raging for several months. The disputes are
> becoming more and more intemperate, and the positions of some editors
> more and more entrenched. While a few contributors have tried hard to
> pull the community back to constructive discussion and have made
> sensible suggestions, their comments have been drowned out in the noise.
>
> We need to stop now and focus not on stating a re-stating positions,
> but on making definite and constructive proposals for ways in which
> these issues can be fixed. The discussion on this list has been
> non-productive for some time, and I suggest that editors should drop
> discussion there and should focus attention on the discussion on Commons:
>
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Administrators%27_noticeboa
> rd#Disputes_relating_to_URAA.2C_policy.2C_Israeli_images.2C_and_behavi
> our
>
> Michael.

here's a piece of advice. After I ran into this article on wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pygmalion_effect

and the corresponding "Golem effect", it changed my life for the better.
Reading from it:

[ QUOTE ]
The Pygmalion effect, or Rosenthal effect, is the phenomenon whereby the
greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.[1] The
effect is named after the Greek myth of Pygmalion.

A corollary of the Pygmalion effect is the golem effect, in which low
expectations lead to a decrease in performance.[1] The Pygmalion effect and the
golem effect are forms of self-fulfilling prophecy. People will take the belief
they have of themselves and attribute traits of the belief with themselves and
their work. This will lead them to perform closer to these expectations that
they set for themselves. Within sociology, the effect is often cited with
regard to education and social class.
[ / QUOTE ]

After reading this, I decided that I will have high expectations of improvement
from *anyone* and any community, and will practise it. So maybe some people
should try to apply it in this case as well.

Also see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Heaven_%28film%29 .

Best regards,

        Shlomi Fish