The standard of verification used in other "offwiki" venues (for instance,
the en.wp UTRS unblock system, IRC cloaks, etc) is generally having the
user make an edit using their wikimedia account, to their own userspace,
verifying that they are the holder of account [whatever] on offwiki site
[whatever]. I see no particular reason you couldn't do the same (either at
registration, or when asked by a wikipedian whose account has been
"hijacked") if you're concerned about usernames being hijacked on
Offwiki.org, and any number of experienced Wikimedians could have told you
this if you'd asked. I find it a bit odd that your preferred solution is
instead to send an email to everyone that gives off a vaguely "join my site
or someone else will do it for you" vibe.