Hi,

David Goodman wrote:
> Perhaps the best way of doing this is the admittedly laborious method of
> personally communicating with new editors who seem promising and
> encouraging them and offering to help them continue. The key word in this
> is "personally". It cannot be effectively done with  wikilove messages ,
> and certainly not with anything that looks like a template. Template
> welcomes are essentially in the same class as mail or web
> "personalized"advertisements.  What works is to show that you actually read
> and appreciated what they are doing, to the extent you wanted to write
> something specific.

Thanks, I agree. I'm pretty passionate about making a difference in this area.
I would personally go and start doing that /right now/, but the question
remains open: Which activity should I engage in for all that to happen?

- Look at recent edits and collaborate with new people? That's a most thankless
item on this list, perhaps, as people edit more than anything else.
- Look at newly created pages and collaborate on those with due care and
attention to the new people? That'd be nice. (although imo the drafts process
at English Wikipedia creates an unnecessary hierarchy -- I'd love to remain a
peer and treat the newcomer as a source of wonderful knowledge, not as a
reviewee or mentoree. For this reason, I might perhaps only do this to articles
created in main namespace.)
- I had written a script [2] which makes draft review things more personal by
not using a template in review comments, but I couldn't figure out whom to
approach to get it deployed, or how to prevent ugly [3] templates on talk pages
of people who submitted a draft for review.
- Reworking the welcome template into something else? Into what specifically?
- There are other things I tried to do, such as leave simple short messages
such as [4], but I have not been doing enough of them to figure out who likes
them.
- Many many examples, warning vandals for example, completely template thing,
they get reborn as trolls, etc. see also [5]. But there is a need to not feed
them still, i.e. put some effort into personal communication but not too much.
- Figuring out how to provide IP contributors with more software, up to the
point it's technically possible? ([1] lists some software limitations).
- <add your thought here>

How do I set priorities in such list? Where to start tackling the problem?

svetlana

[1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Musings_about_unregistered_contributors
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Gryllida/DraftsReview
[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Artistintown