Hoi,
Once people decide to leave, the situation is quite stark. There are those
that do and there are those that do not. In my previous mail it should have
been clear that I described the situation after the departure of many
malcontents. That IS a bi-polar state obviously.

That is not to say that the desktop is not important. That is not to say
that the tooling people use for advanced tasks is not important.

The point is very much that in a changing environment, tools that rely on a
stable environment are not stable by definition.You cannot insist on such
stability either. You cannot even insist that the tools that are usable are
well designed and easily adaptable to change. Take for instance gadgets. A
successful gadget it copied from Wiki to Wiki and in the process it needs
to be localised and preferably it should take advantage of any future
development. Work has been done to accomplish internationalisation and a
more centralised development model. Once this is finished one gadget may
exist on hundreds of wikis. That is a maintenance scenario.

Another disaster (IMHO) is that the wikidatafication of Commons is NOT the
wikidatafication of multi-media files. The point is NOT that Commons needs
to be done first, the point is that once Commons is "done", all other Wikis
who have local uploads of multi-media files need to be wikidatified as
well. There is NO reason why the result of the compromises reached in the
Commons process will "obviously" fit elsewhere.When it is clear from the
start that Commons is ONLY the first to be wikidatified, there is a better
chance of getting involvement from people who feel strongly about the
reasons why their Wiki does not upload to Commons. Their involvement will
be a reality check to the Commoners that their POV is exactly that.

The Multimedia Viewer did a good job at showing the extend to which local
edge cases like the German templates Fabrice mentioned in a recent list of
accomplishments pose problems for central development. They exist, they
need to be fixed and preferably only once. If not they will change in the
future again.

Several volunteers like Roan became employees of the WMF exactly because
they were pivotal in the dissemination of technology. When you look at the
work they do, bringing thing back together IS one aspect of their
accomplishments.

Things will break and when we do not want drama again and again, we need to
embrace change and accept that particularly high end tools will break down
regularly. My experience at Labs shows exactly that and it shows that as
things get better organised downtime becomes less of an issue. It also
shows that as our environment becomes more stable, the tools become more
sophisticated and consequently more in need of a well architected
environment.

What we have is the old problem of retro fitting architecture where chaos
reigned supreme. We can do this and this "we" is most definitely an
invitation to every Wikimedian.
Thanks,
      GerardM