On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 6:55 AM, Jane Darnell <jane...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You can start by asking around in your own circle of aquaintance, and I'll
> bet that such research will make you quickly realize that hard stats will
> be very hard to discover, since in my circle, most of the women I know are
> married and though their household contains a desktop, the desktop is owned
> and operated by their husband, not them.

I use (primarily) my carbon-fiber beast of a desktop, with my wife using
primarily a laptop. The use of "desktop" to (presumably) refer to laptops
is very confusing here, and would make accurate data gathering more
difficult, not less.

We both use a tablet and/or phone, but only when away from the real
machines or for very quick stuff. Doing real work on a tablet/phone is a
pain in the ass, not just on Wikipedia but for anything. If I have a decent
amount of text to type, I'll take a real keyboard and two monitors, not one
"keyboard" taking up half of a 4" screen, thanks very much. I can't even
imagine trying to make a significant edit to an article on a phone, no
matter how good we make the interface. Even in a visual editor, articles
require the entry of a lot of text, not the Facebook-style "I'm here,
having a great time!"

That's a usage pattern that's very common with couples in my experience.
It's apparently not in yours. That's why the plural of anecdote is not
evidence.

> In any official questionaire
> served to them however, they are probably asked whether their household has
> one, not whether they themselves are the primary user of one.

Why would they be? If we're trying to determine use patterns, it's silly to
ask about the simple presence of something, but that's easy to fix.

"What device do you primarily use when accessing the Internet?"
(Alternatively, or as a followup, "What type of device do you routinely use
to access the Internet? Check all that apply.")

[ ] A desktop computer
[ ] A laptop or notebook computer
[ ] A tablet or smartphone

Not that hard to design a question that addresses the user directly, by not
just access to a given device but actual use of it. If we need that data,
we ought to actually gather it.