Hoi,
Such separate hostings and ownership would not be that much of a risk to
the WMF. The challenges will be first and foremost with the separatists;
then again it is firmly their choice. There will be benefits on both sides
as well. The community that remains with the WMF will lose all of the
separatists and they will sadly see some of them go. It will allow for the
influx of new people and new ideas. The people that go will get a reality
check; they will find out to what extend the things they fought battles
over are actually worth it. I am sure that both communities will benefit.

When the people who talk about going their own way rethink their stance and
start considering the other side of the coin it may lead to an equilibrium.
However, the Visual Editor is not the only thing that will change the look
and feel there is so much more happening and at that, a single community
only considering its own is in effect a cul de sac.

When numbers of readers are to be our main worry, it should be obvious by
now that both for editing and reading they are happening on the mobile, the
tablet. This is were our new readers are happening. Maybe not necessarily
in Europe but certainly in the global south. They have by definition a
different mode of operandi and consequently much of our current bickering
is only distracting from putting our efforts in welcoming our newbies and
building a full fledged environment for them.
Thanks,
     GerardM