I should explain that I am a resident of the Netherlands, where we have a
central statistics bureau which includes census statistics that you can
query for free and download your own datasets in xls format. As a data
analyst I have spent lots of time gathering such data and reporting on it
in Microsoft Excel, which is still my tool of choice. I frequently read
news stories about published reports that misinterpret data and I sometimes
will check the cited data against published open data sources. I base my
conclusions on that experience as well as my personal experience. It may
also be helpful to explain that many of my friends are or were stay-at-home
moms. I agree that most of the questions served in public surveys do not
seem to be formulated by data analysts.

I am proud to say that after a rocky start I can finally edit Wikipedia and
Wikimedia Commons on my iPad, but I couldn't tell you what I did to set it
up. I have successfully uploaded several photos with my android app to Wiki
Loves Monuments. I do know that I tried to make an edit on someone else's
iPhone this week and was stopped short by the mobile interface.