I agree with this point and I think that this problem is central.

People with defective vision already uses text-to-speech solutions as
client application.

So the problem is another: are the pages of Wikimedia projects adapted to
be read by TTL client program?

I think that the exaggerated use of templates is the main obstacle to have
wikimedia projects compatible with WAI standard (http://www.w3.org/WAI/).

So the question is different: before adapt the pages to WAI, after check
them with a TTL client program, and after define if it makes sense to
introduce a TTL integrated to the web interface.

Someone with low vision or blind probably cannot find or read the
instructions to use the TTL with Wikipedia, he has his own program and is
able to use it.

regards

--
Ilario Valdelli