On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 2:58 AM, Ilario Valdelli <valde...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> The first lesson learned is that blind (or almost blind) people use always
> a software of speech synthesis with a speed that makes the audio
> almost unintelligible
> for not experienced people. The operating system provides several tools for
> that including mobile OS.
>
> The second lesson is that this software of speech synthesis is crucial for
> them and they would set and control it. So forget the normal speed of audio
> that everyone of us is experienced to use.

I asked if anyone could point me to examples of "how fast do screenreaders
actually read", a few months ago.[1] The best examples I could find at the
time, are here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izrC4R7SsH4#t=1561s
and here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92pM6hJG6Wo

Searching a few days ago, I learned that the average speed that experienced
users generally use is 250-400 wpm, and that the default settings are
around 180wpm.
(Note: Users seem to typically talk about the speed they use in terms of x%
of maximum, rather than wpm, e.g. "I've got 63% with rate boost, and
rising.  I used to think 75% with JAWS was fast, but not anymore.  I'm just
turning it 1% faster every couple days, and I'm doing it because I can."
[2])

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Words_per_minute#Speech_and_listening says
English language audio books are generally at 140-160 wpm.

[1]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Manual_of_Style/Accessibility/Archive_13#Good_videos_demonstrating_screenreaders_in_use
[2] http://forum.audiogames.net/viewtopic.php?id=10649

No one knew that I am from a Wikimedia chapter except the organizers and I
> did several questions about Wikipedia because (I did not know it) it was
> presented as "good" example of website for speech synthesis.

I believe this is partially through the long-term efforts of: our
developers who have an understanding of accessibility issues, and our few
blind editors and many sight-impaired editors who give regular feedback and
bugreports.[3] Immense kudos to all of them.

[3] https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/accessibility/

(Sidenote:  I compiled a list of all the related pages I could find, at
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Accessibility_and_usability_cleanup
Anyone's additions to that listing, or notes/improvements/merge-efforts at
the linked pages over the longterm, would be greatly appreciated. :)

Quiddity