On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 2:43 PM, James Alexander <jalexan...@wikimedia.org>
wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 11:30 AM, Itzik - Wikimedia Israel <
> it...@wikimedia.org.il> wrote:
>
> > Any response or input from the Election Committee?
> >

> I think Greg said it relatively well earlier as the coordinator for the
> committee (I am it's staff advisor). At this point the committee has
> decided on the voting requirements and it is highly unlikely to change for
> the current election cycle. They did have serious discussions about
> everything mentioned in this thread both on their list and during the first
> committee meeting but in the end decided that they did not believe there
> was a strong need for change right now. When this conversation came back up
> it was broached whether we wanted to revisit and no one said expressed a
> desire to.
>
> Also as Greg said I think this is a good topic for a permanent election
> committee which I very much think should exist.
>
> James Alexander
> Community Advocacy
> Wikimedia Foundation
> (415) 839-6885 x6716 @jamesofur

This is a weakness in the process. Itzik raised an issue and was told it
was too early to discuss. He raised it again when the elections approached,
and is being told its too late. Obviously the "committee" conducted its
deliberations on this question in secret, which is a strange approach
considering there have been requests and a desire for open discussion from
the community.

It's also worth pointing out that many of the people in this discussion
agreed that the community requirements are so low that there should be no
reason any interested employee (of the WMF or elsewhere) can't qualify
under other criteria, eliminating the need for a special franchise for WMF
employees.

Unfortunately it appears that anyone interested in adjusting the criteria
will need perfecting timing while broaching this subject next year.