Gerard, I think you may be missing the point of the NYT op-ed.  The issue
isn't data, it's people who will use that data (whether it comes from
structured data sets like Wikidata, or from dead-tree or electronic media)
to create articles, curate them, maintain them, keep the various wikipedias
mostly spam-free, and develop communities around them.  We're not lacking
in data. We're lacking in human beings and healthy, growing communities.

On the other hand, I'm not entirely certain that Andrew's concerns about
the use of smartphones as the primary mode of access is entirely
justified.  We've known for a long time that many of our editors in Asian
countries edit using smartphones, often with a keyboard attached; we've
even featured them in videos.  But realistically, the overwhelming majority
of Wikipedia *readers* have never considered, even for a moment, actively
participating in editing - and it has been that way pretty much since at
least 2005, and maybe earlier.  We can do better, of course, and making it
easier to edit on tablets in particular is a worthwhile enterprise
(smartphones...well, I'm not even persuaded they're going to exist five
years from now in the way that we know them today...)

Risker/Anne