Hoi,
I don't but there is a place for them and it is not in endless drudgery
that is best done in other ways. We need text junkies who love their
language, who can explain things and make them understood as expected of an
encyclopaedia. We do not need endless wikitext we need text. We do not need
templates galore every time done in an incompatible and unintelligible way.
Article writers should be able to distance themselves from such drudgery.

When you call article writers people who are very good at such nonsense
than yes, we need fewer of those because in the end they lose us more
writers than they gain us quality content.
Thanks,
      GerardM