Hey Pine,

As you know, AffCom started looking into this list after some discussions with
affiliates in Berlin, Wikimania, and at that page you referred to. We did talk
with that list’s moderators about potentially reusing that list (largely why
the creation of this list took awhile). However, ultimately, we decided to
proceed with the creation of this list.

The old list is not on Wikimedia servers or officially connected to AffCom, so
I cannot speak to its future. However, it has becoming increasingly inactive,
is limited to chapters (so excludes a majority of our affiliates), and not
something we have promoted recently. My personal hope is that this new broader
list replaces that one over time, but that is not something we can “force” as
it’s not a resource we officially help manage.

-greg (User:Varnent)
Vice Chair, Affiliations Committee